Local AngloINFO


The world is my home

Flower Power
Flower Power
At the Botanical Gardens in Dahlem

Currency Converter

Expand Current Page

Annual Paid Leave

Find out about the set leave periods which apply to employees in Germany...

The statutory minimum entitlement to leave is 24 working days per year (Bundesurlaubsgesetz - the Federal Holidays Act). Special rules apply to certain groups of people, including young people under the age of 18 and disabled people.

Collective agreements stipulate leave of 30 working days for most employees. A person’s salary continues to be paid in full during this period. Anyone who consistently performs heavy or harmful work will normally receive additional leave. Some collective wage agreements include arrangements for fortunate and unfortunate events in one’s private life. For instance, some employers grant single and additional days of special leave for marriage, death of a close relative or for moving house if you are transferred to a different location. Full entitlement to leave is acquired only after the employment relationship has been in existence for six months. Make sure you come to an agreement on holidays with your employer and colleagues in good time.

Sickness Leave

There are clear rules governing absence on grounds of illness. In the event of illness, an employee must, as soon as possible, inform the employer of his incapacity for work and the anticipated duration of that incapacity. In the case of illness lasting longer than three days, an employee must submit a doctor’s certificate no later than the following working day.

Parental Leave

During parental leave, the employer exempts parents from work without pay to look after their child. Therefore, the employment relationship is suspended during parental leave. However, ‘parental leave’ also gives male and female employees the opportunity to work part-time so that they are able to devote themselves to their child and at the same time keep up with their job. Each parent is entitled to parental leave to look after and bring up their child until it reaches the age of three.

Educational Leave

Employees can take educational leave for the purpose of their further training. The Federal Länder have their own laws on educational leave, which govern paid leave from work. You can use this for your own political education, language courses (for example, ‘German as a foreign language’) or for your further vocational training. As for annual leave, you should agree arrangements for educational leave with your employer at an early stage.

Text last edited on: 06/2010

Source: European Union
© European Communities, 1995-2010
Reproduction is authorised.
Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

Looking for an international business opportunity? Why not run an AngloINFO site?
AngloINFO is growing fast and is looking for the right people to take on regional AngloINFO franchises around the world - click here to find out more!

AngloINFO Franchising: Be your own boss - where you want to be!


Welcome to AngloINFO Germany

Everything you need for life in Germany - local information you can trust
We have local franchise opportunities in Germany and around the world

Do you dream of having your own, profitable, easy-to-operate business? AngloINFO might be the solution!

Now in its fifteenth year of business, AngloINFO is the world's leading network of expat information websites - with over three million monthly visitors from around the world.
We have an established network of 88 local websites in 41 countries with many more in development.

Our 54 local franchisees are the key to our success and come from a huge range of backgrounds, ages and nationalities. The common factor is a passion for success.